"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all."-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Split Second (Pivot Point #2) by Kasie West


Grade: A/ 5stars
Rating: PG+
Content: Clean (no language or sexual content)
Recommendation: Read It!

Best quote: "Dad, she's beautiful.  I remember where she was standing..." -Trevor

Kasie West is one talented writer!  Sequels can be very difficult to navigate.  We readers are already invested in the characters and because we love them (otherwise we wouldn't be reading the second book, right?!) we want things to work out the way we want them to work out.  The only problem: we each have our own idea of what exactly that is.

What I am so happy to announce is that West creates a second story in the "Pivot Point" world, that is in and of it's self a great story, but at the same time builds upon the previous book to create its own unique story-not one that is just a rehash of book one or a drawn out conclusion to book one.  While this sequel does wrap up story lines from book one, it also builds (and introduces new) characters and has a story that is 100% its own.


I mentioned in my last review that I have recently been in a "second book slump"... I LOVE the first book of a series, but I have trouble getting into a second book... Well, I believe that this book has officially gotten me out of my slump!  I didn't know what to expect from this book, I new I loved Kasie West, but I wasn't sure how she would write this second book. In her first book, Pivot Point, West alternates between Addie's two paths that she can choose.  At the end of book one we get a great climax and then an ending that is left wide open for book two.  I didn't know how this style would translate into a sequel.  I wasn't sure there was enough room for book two and I didn't know how she would be able to keep up her back and forth between realities style.  Well, let me tell you, West not only does this but she totally ROCKS it!  This book goes back and forth between Addie who is visiting her father in the Norm world and Laila (her best friend who is still living in the Para world.

What I liked:
I liked that this book picked up right where Pivot Point left off.  I didn't feel like I missed any action, I just got to jump right back into the world.  I did re-read a bit of Pivot Point before picking this book up to make sure I remembered all the characters and the story lines. I'm glad I did, because there were a few names and abilities that I had forgotten, and West doesn't spend a ton of time in book two to remind the reader of what is going on (a little, just not much-which I appreciate).  I loved Addie- I knew I would- and I'm glad that she stayed true to character in this book.  While I was a little unsure about reading half a book devoted to Laila's perspective, by her second chapter, I found that I was happy to have her point of view.  I grew to love Laila by the end of the book actually.  This might have more to do with Connor than anything, but still I found I was enjoying both points of view equally. I think that is really saying something.



Of course, I loved Addie and Trevor.  I liked seeing how there relationship grew, how it differed from book one and how it was the same.  I admit that I think book one was a little stronger in terms of there relationship growth, but recreating the beginning of a relationship with the same two characters would be difficult and I DO think that West pulls it off.

The new Laila/Connor story line is great.  I like Laila after reading more of her, but I LOVE CONNOR.  His ability, his use of it, his story, how it all came together... really liked.  I don't want to say too much, because I think you should read the book and experience it for yourselves, but suffice it to say, I don't think you will be disappointed.

I liked that I got to see different sides of old Characters, specifically Stephanie.  I did not like her in book one, but in book two, I got to see her in a new light and that was brilliant I think.


What I didn't like:
Hmm this section is a little tricky because I don't like to spoil anything and some of the things I would have liked to be a little different are specific... I will attempt to keep this as general as possible so I won't spoil anything.  Most of my qualms about this book are very minor and character specific.

The chemistry between Addie and Trevor is good, but not as strong as book one.  I think, like I mentioned earlier, recreating that "first moment" is very difficult to get perfect twice.  (Still good though so don't worry.)  I would have liked to see more scenes that make me swoon, maybe a great kiss or some super sweet gesture that just makes me sigh, like Charles Dickens zombie you know(if you don't get this reference re-read book one before reading Split Second)... They seemed attracted to each other with our really knowing why... Dealing with erased memories and such can be difficult. I found myself wishing that they could both just remember.  I felt so desperate after book one because I knew they wouldn't remember and in book two I never quite got that desperate love feeling.

There are a few conflicts that are really built up and then are resolved way too quickly. There are two or three I can think of right away.  I won't spoil it though.  And in honesty, it didn't bother me so much, because I was happy to keep reading what came next.

I missed Rowan a bit in this book. I liked him in Pivot Point so I thought he would be here, but when I thought a little more on this, I realized that his storyline wasn't necessary and I enjoyed the new characters that were introduced.

Also missing in this book was Brody (he had a few small scenes, but not notable).  And I would have loved to see a small cameo by Trevor's mother, but unfortunately, she was only mentioned in past tense referring to the scene in book one. I can think of one scene that she could have been inserted into easily in this book, in fact I wonder if she was originally in the book and got cut because she wouldn't advance the storyline.  Anyway, not a big deal in the end.

I'm glad that we got a resolution with Addie and her father, but I felt like her poor mother got left hanging... Alone. I like that I got to know her character a bit better, but I would have loved to see her story line a little more wrapped up.  Again, she wasn't the main point of the story and it didn't really bother me while I was reading the book.


Conclusion:
Great book... Go out and purchase it... Go... Now :)

Other Books you may enjoy:

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

No comments:

Post a Comment