"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all."-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, February 13, 2014

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) By Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Grade: B
Rating: PG-13
Content:

Best Quote:
“Major, to what extent did you act upon your feelings for Miss LaRoux?"
"Medium."
"Excuse me?"
"How am I supposed to answer that question?” 




Titanic meets... star trek, marries Lost? I'm giving this book 3.5 stars because while it is better than average, it never hits that pivotal peak... and there were a few parts that were downright strange. However, with such a beautiful cover- I couldn't resist picking it up. This book looks like it will be primarily about space, however, it is more accurately described as a "survivor" story, so don't be fooled. If you are looking for space travel try the books listed below.  I am pretty sure I am in the minority, the overwhelming majority on goodreads LOVES this book, for me it fell flat and here's why:

What I liked: It had enough to keep me turning pages and the beginning was very titanic-esque with its upstairs/ downstairs feel, so it pulled me right in. Combine that with a military love interest and I'm definitely engaged. I loved the characters names: Lilac Laroux and Tarver Merendsen... great names. Every once and a while I enjoy a sci-fi ya romance... This one was ok, but I think it would have been more interesting to spend time on the ship then on the planet exploring the dystopian nature of their world then on a sic-fi planet. Personal preference maybe.

What I didn't like: Unfortunately, it lacked any real connection between the main characters and then the end while technically I should like it... it didn't feel quite right, felt a little to perfectly wrapped up and hurried. And the Lilac thing near the end... what??  The whispers were weird, and I think I understand them now, but not really. The rift idea was interesting, but that part of the book went so quickly as compared to the rest of the book that felt super slow, so the pacing was off for me.  This book seemed to have a hard time deciding what it was: dystopian, sci-fi, mystery, or ya-romance, it just never really decided.  The sci-fi parts were vague and never amounted to much, the dystopian parts weren't developed, the romance pacing was all wrong to slow then bam they can't live without each other-felt forced. 

 It looks like their may be another book in this series, if so I will check it out at the library and give it a chance, but I won't mark it on the calendar if you get my drift.

Similar Books:

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfruend

No comments:

Post a Comment